Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Fund the Arts...or Fear my Wrath!

It is no secret that I am a passionate supporter of the Arts, especially music. Unfortunately, we live in a world that does not always agree with my belief that art, theater, and music are crucial to a have a well rounded and cultural school which embraces the passions of all the students. With a school's pressure to raise test scores and being forced to meet that standards enforced by the No Child Left Behind Act the Arts programs are slowly diminishing, if not being wiped out completely, in some severe cases. The belief supporting the funding of the arts is one which I am deeply committed, not simply because of my past and present, as I am currently involved in many of the arts programs, but on another level, the idea of keeping the arts in flourish is one that affects my future as well. I would fight relentlessly to keep music and art alive in schools as a student and later as a teacher.

If test scores are down, punishing the children is not going to motivate them to learn their academic subjects because there is no longer that rewarding class that makes school worth getting up for each morning. I say lets teach to the student's passion and interest, not just to the test that teachers are forced to build their curriculum around, trapping their expression and the desires of the students. How can one put a price on someone's passion? Just because there is no state test for the subjects can we simply push them under the rug? As a student, my family and I are members of VH1's Save the Music Foundation where we donate money so that hopefully this threat will never become an unchangeable and permanent reality. Even more so, if for any reason the funding was cut for our arts programs I would take drastic measures of protest and rallying to make my voice heard. I would put my reputation on the line and give my all to the cause, because without music, I have no future.

Hopefully, one day I will be a music teacher, giving private lessons or directing a band on a high school or college level. I need to make sure that when my time comes to go into the real world and pass on my knowledge of music, there is a job out there waiting for me. Luckily there are so many programs owned by commercial companies and even government funding that is stepping up to keep such programs in motion. The arts are not simply facts to memorize and equations to solve; they are an interpretation of emotion driven by our culture. The belief that music and art are essential to all school systems is one of strength and action. I know far too many talented people who have blossomed through the support and encouragement of the arts department. In our graduating class alone there are talented artists, fashion designers, musicians, photographers, dancers, actors, and vocalists who would never have known the talent they possessed without taking classes in school that supplied them with the opportunities to explore all their potential to uncover a hidden talent. Now, in a school where such opportunities never exist, children are deprived of exploring all possible careers paths and for those that have them taken away, those who were considering such a career path can no longer compete with the rest of the world that has continued to grow around them.

The arts are not only crucial to be pursued as a profession for students, but also consider the emotional outlet and how important that can in a student's life, regardless of their talents. Very few students rush into math class and breathe a sigh of relief because solving the equation calms them and they can unleash all their pent up emotions (well not everyone, though I can think of a few sad individuals who shall remain nameless). However, think of a time when you perhaps played an instrument for fun or drew some doodles after a test, it can be a very relaxing or emotional experience that is enjoyable and a change from the high stress competitive atmosphere of the academic portion of school. Art class is a place to unleash one's creativity, not to make everything precise, although some do. The teachers are not there to criticize your technique, but guide and encourage your inspiration. Of course every class has some form of structure, to play music one must know the fundamentals of scales, but it’s what one does with those fundamentals that allows for the creativity to be unleashed. Whether an individual is a musical virtuoso or a prodigy painter, that is not always the importance of such programs, the emotional aspect of the arts can relieve the anxiety of the day and perhaps even improve test scores as student feel more comfortable in a school setting.

The merits of keeping the arts alive in school go well beyond the idea of simply being fair and looking as if the school is diverse and embraces culture. Those elements are crucial, but the benefits that it can have on the students are even more important. In my life there is no cause more worthy of my attention than that of keeping the arts alive so that when my time comes I can take my place among the elite to pass on my passion and knowledge to a new generation that can go to school each day not only to learn, but to feel and grow on another level beyond information but emotion. The smooth stroke of the paintbrush and the flow of a simple melody can go along way and reach the youth of each generation on a personal level and gives them an outlet to express who they are whether they pursue this professionally of simply just for enjoyment, the important thing is they option is available to all students so they can make that decision with a well rounded background of all the world has to offer.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
theteach said...

hmmmm....
Great Title.
I hesitate to write the following, but do so, because you have the makings of a truly strong persuasive argument. Your potential as a writer will not let me stand by without offering an observation or two. :) Your passion for the arts and music comes through. But with some organization and clarification, you could produce a much more powerful argument that could be appreciated by a broader audience.

As I read your missive, I wonder if it is your first draft. It appears to be a more writer-based essay than a reader-based one. It is as though you are writing for yourself rather than your audience. Lots of generalalities that only you or your close friends might understand because you and they can fill in details. For example, what in your past and present cause you to be "deeply committed" to "the belief supporting the funding of the arts." I note also you are committed to the belief; why not the funding itself?

You write, "The belief that music and art are essential to all school systems is one of strength and action." Again, why the belief and not the actual music and the art? All the belief in the world will not matter if there is no actualization of that belief.

It is as though you have so much to say, it all comes tumbling out but now needs to be organized. When I am struggling to clarify my ideas for an audience, I sometimes separate the text so that each sentence begins on a new line. Then I read through each to see if it really says what I want it to and to see if it relates to the sentences preceding and following. I divided your text. See if this helps.
http://www.theteachonline.net/mh/bg.rtf

FutureDevilDog said...

I have never been one to dismiss the arts. I quite frankly think it is terrible when art and music funding is cut, and unfortunately, those are very expensive departments; so, they are usually some one the first to get cut. There is a lot of creative talent, especially at our school. To think that some of the most talented people would not be able to get the money to pursue their dreams is tragic.

On the other hand, I think because you are so passionate about music and the arts, you dismissed a huge audience. There are more people than you think that enjoy maths and sciences. Maybe, you are just hanging out with the ones that do not. Any good teacher, too, will help guide your creativity and analytical thinking and development, not just a teacher of the arts. Unfortunately, people associate having bad teachers in maths and histories and sciences with not enjoying the subjects. I have had some wonderful teachers in those fields, which is why I love all that stuff so much.

Do not be so quick to alienate an audience. Your cause is a just one, especially because of the current circumstances. Funding for the arts should never end. I LOVE art and music; however, make sure that your generalizations are not too hasty because your cause will not be looked at with the depth that it deserves, if you alienate an audience. Good job, though.

Anonymous said...

Well, Bandgeek, way to live up to your name. Seriously though, being a fellow musician (though not nearly as dedicated), I understand the impact music can have. Personally, I find that playing music helps me calm down and unwind after a very stressful day. I also listen to it in the car while driving, and different styles of music can affect my nerves while driving. So I agree that you make a valid case with this issue.

However, I do feel you tried to argue two issues in the same blog, and as a result, didn't fully complete either argument. You mention (obviously) the decreased funding in art programs, but you also make mention of the No Child Left Behind Act and comment on how the "school's pressure to raise test scores." Certainly, being in AP Lang, we all understand that both these issues are valid; but by arguing against them in the same blog, some of your reasons got lost in the struggle between the two causes. Overall, I think you did a very nice job; I would just be more limited in my discussion of the issue at hand.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BandGeek27 said...

Hey E-meister, thanks for the compliments fellow musician buddy, but on a more serious, I completely agree with your statement about narrowing my focus. I guess once I start writing I just keep going and some how in my head it all seems to make sense. I should have either expanded on my reason for including the information about "No Child Left Behind" or limited my ramblings. I tried to use it as an introduction into the issue of cutting the arts because there is more focus on academics, but I can see how that brings up questions I did not answer. Thanks you so much for your input because I need all the criticism I can get!

BandGeek27 said...

FutureDevilDog, I am so glad that you share a love for art and music and I want to clarify myself and apologize if my blog offended you in any way. It's true, I was fighting for one cause and I did not mean to put any other area of study down, I just wanted to simply show the importance of this particular area. I know that great teachers in any class can inspire creativity, I was only making a joke in the math section of the blog, I swear these things need a sarcasm button because I know that all other subjects have as much to offer as the arts. My goal was to simply convey that the arts deserve as much attention as these subjects, perhaps I did not make a convincing argument because I did write with a bias. Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention and I just wanted to clarify myself so you don't think I'm some horrible person who doesn't appreciate the other subjects outside of the arts. I now know that my passion cannot fully take control of my writing because that last thing I want to do is alienate my audience, but rater invite them to read and hopefully learn. Thanks again!

BandGeek27 said...

theteach, thank you most of all for your insight and wonderful advice. You are 100% correct when you say that I wrote this blog more for myself than for a broad audience, they don't know me and I took that for granted. Just so you know I am a highly dedicated saxophonist, I participate in our school's concert band, jazz ensemble, and marching band where I was drum major as well as countless other musical activities in and out of school that I don't want to bore you with. I will be majoring in music and music education this fall so that gives you an idea of where this passion comes from, I am sorry I neglected to inform the public of all this in my blog.

Aside from that, I can honestly say I do not know why I continued to say "I support the belief..." perhaps it was the way the assignment was worded that ingrained that word in my head. I am committed to the funding itself, the music, and the art. That wording was pure oversight on my part and I completely agree that my argument has to be stronger than the 'belief' of something, I have to show more conviction in my argument.

Lastly, you were dead on when you said that I had TOO MUCH TO SAY and it all kind of ran together into this rambling list. It seems that when I talk about something I really feel passionate about I just go off on a tangent and assume people will make sense of it all because it makes sense to me. Clearly this is the wrong attitude to take because no one can know what I am actually thinking, I have to be much more careful in the structure and organization of my writing so that people can understand and appreciate what I am trying to say. Thanks so much, all you advice has helped me greatly and I hope I can take what I have learned and make you proud in the future.

theteach said...

You cause me to smile. Just make yourself proud of you. :)

And don't assume you will bore me with a narration of your "countless other musical activities in and out of school." I would enjoy reading about them.
You write that you "will be majoring in music and music education this fall." Where do you plan to do this?